The First Ministerial Level Meeting of the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Initiative (CSPI)
On September 25, commencing at around 12:30 p.m. for approximately 90 minutes, H.E. Ms. KAMIKAWA Yoko, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held the First Ministerial Level Meeting of the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Initiative (CSPI) at Iikura Guest House with H.E. Dr. Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology and Special Envoy of the United Arab Emirates to Japan, who is visiting Japan. The overview is as follows.
The Ministerial Level Meeting of the CSPI was established based on the “Joint Declaration on the Implementation of the CSPI,” signed between Japan and the UAE in September 2022, and headed by the Minister for Foreign Affairs from the Japanese side and the Special Envoy to Japan from the UAE side.
- At the outset, Minister Kamikawa expressed her appreciation for Minister and Special Envoy Jaber’s support as the minister in charge of receiving Prime Minister Kishida Fumio during the visit in July this year, and stated that Japan attaches great importance to the strategic partnership with the UAE and looks forward to advancing cooperation in various fields. In response, Minister and Special Envoy Jaber expressed his strong hopes to strengthen bilateral relations with Japan.
- The two ministers confirmed the factsheet which collect result of the senior official meetings of the five subcommittee of the CSPI framework; 1) Political, Diplomatic and International Cooperation Subcommittee; 2) Economic, Trade, Energy and Industry Subcommittee; 3) Agriculture, Environment and Climate Change Subcommittee; 4) Education, Science, Technology and Culture Subcommittee; 5) Defense and Security Subcommittee. The two ministers concurred to continue utilizing the CSPI framework as a forum for consultation on cooperation between the two countries.
- Minister Kamikawa explained Japan’s position regarding the discharge of ALPS treated water into the ocean, while referring to the IAEA’s assessment in its Comprehensive Report. In response, Minister and Special Envoy Jaber stated that the UAE supports Japan's efforts.
- Minister Kamikawa expressed her appreciation for the UAE’s stable supply of crude oil to Japan and the UAE’s generosity towards participation of Japanese companies in the upstream development over long years, and requested cooperation towards stabilization of the crude oil market and production increase. The two ministers exchanged views on cooperation between Japan and the UAE towards the stabilization of the international oil market, the "Japan-UAE Innovation Partnership" and the "Global Green Energy Hub" concept concurred during Prime Minister Kishida's recent visit to the UAE.
- Minister Kamikawa stated that Japan is fully committed to making its utmost contribution to the success of COP28, including the global stocktake. In response, Minister and Special Envoy Jaber, as the COP28 President-Designate, explained the status of preparations for COP28 and expressed his hopes for Japan’s contributions.
- The two ministers exchanged views on cooperation in the fields of defense, cooperation in international arena including the UN Security Council, Expos and other issues, and concurred to continue close cooperation.