Foreign Minister Hayashi to Visit Nagano Prefecture
(“Local to Global” Project)
On August 24, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, is scheduled to visit Nagano Prefecture with diplomatic corps in Japan as the fifth round of the “Local to Global” Project that aims to promote the attractiveness of regional areas of Japan worldwide, following his visit to Akita Prefecture this June.
- In this project, Minister for Foreign Affairs visit Japan’s regions together with members of the diplomatic corps in Japan. The project is aimed at stimulating inbound tourism and further vitalizing Japan’s regions by having members of the diplomatic corps experience the charms of Japan’s regions and deepen their understanding of these regions through dialogue with local people, and encouraging them to promote these regions to citizens in their own countries.
- During his visit, Minister Hayashi is to visit famous Suwa Taisha Shrine, a historical site unique to Nagano, a production facility of cider made from apples which is a local specialty product, and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Komagane Training Center, together with members of the diplomatic corps. He is also due to exchange views with the local governments and members of the local business community.
In particular, the visit to the JICA Komagane Training Center would serve as an opportunity for Ambassadors to Japan to further understand the activities of Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers, which are considered a strength of Japan under the Development Cooperation Charter that was revised in June of this year, and Japan’s initiatives for development cooperation.
- In addition, Minister Hayashi is to hold a roundtable dialogue with people based in Nagano who actively contribute to a wide range of fields, and exchange views on Japan’s diplomacy and the promotion of the attractiveness of Nagano.
- Visit sites in Nagano Prefecture Suwa Grand Shrine (Suwa Taisha) Upper Shrine Hon-miya (Suwa City), Kamoshika Cidre Brewery (Ina City), JICA Komagane Training Center (Komagane City)
- Exchange views with the Governor of Nagano Prefecture, the Mayor of Ina City, the Mayor of Komagane City, the Vice Mayor of Suwa City, members of the local business community, and members of the diplomatic corps in Japan (venue: Ina City)
- Roundtable dialogue with people based in Nagano who are actively contributing to their field (venue: Komagane City)