Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. MORI summons Mr. Mikhail Y. GALUZIN, Ambassador of the Russian Federation to Japan
October 4, 2022
- On October 4, Mr. MORI Takeo, Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, summoned Mr. Mikhail Y. GALUZIN, Ambassador of the Russian Federation to Japan and stated the following points:
- (1) With regard to Russia’s declaration of a consular officer at the Consulate-General of Japan in Vladivostok as persona non grata, there is no fact that the consular officer conducted an illegal activity as Russia alleges. The acts by Russia, including a detention of the consular officer and an intimidating interrogation, constitute a clear and serious violation of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and the Japan-Soviet Consular Convention. It is extremely regrettable, and absolutely unacceptable.
- (2) In addition, it is an unbelievable act that Russia declared the consular officer as persona non grata, and Japan lodges once again a strong protest against it.
- (3) The Government of Japan declares a consul at the Consulate-General of the Russian Federation in Sapporo as persona non grata, and demands the expulsion of the consul from Japan within 6 days, i.e., by October 10.
- (4) This is conducted as an appropriate measure in response to the measures taken by Russia. We call on Russia to implement this measure accordingly.
- Moreover, Mr. Mori conveyed once again Japan’s position on the purported ‘‘referenda’’ in the regions in Ukraine, the purported ‘‘incorporation’’ of the regions by Russia, and Russia’s spreading of the threatening message on nuclear weapons.