The article by Foreign Minister HAYASHI Yoshimasa on the Lancet.
Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2021: A historic opportunity to accelerate the efforts towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
December 2, 2021
- Today the article by Foreign Minister HAYASHI Yoshimasa was published on the Lancet. The Lancet is highly reputable medical journal. The article features the determination by Japan to contribute to the improvement of global nutrition and health by hosting the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2021.
- The main points are as follows.
- (1) Nutrition is the foundation of human health and well-being, as well as the basis for sustainable development and economic growth.
- (2) Addressing malnutrition is a critical issue for sustainable development. As the world is facing multidimensional nutrition issues, with factors such as the rapid increase in malnutrition associated with the global spread of COVID-19 and the impacts of climate change for the food systems, the importance and urgency of addressing malnutrition through healthy and sustainable food has become even more critical.
- (3) The Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit aims to achieve universal health coverage by addressing all forms of malnutrition, including the double burden of undernutrition and overnutrition.
- (4) As one of the countries with the longest life expectancy in the world, and with the experience of starting to invest in improving nutrition even before achieving economic growth, Japan will encourage international commitment to improve nutrition under the principle of human security, where no one is left behind.