G20 Foreign Ministers’ Extraordinary Virtual Meeting
September 3, 2020
On September 3, from 9 p.m. for approximately 140 minutes, G20 Foreign Ministers’ Extraordinary Virtual Meeting was held. The overview is as follows. From the Japanese side, Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu, Minister for Foreign Affairs attended. The meeting was chaired by Saudi Arabia, the G20 Presidency this year.
- At the meeting, participants shared the knowledge and experiences gained through responding to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), including border control measures, and discussed possible ways of international cooperation for resuming cross-border travel.
- Minister Motegi outlined Japan’s measures for controling the spread of infections such as border control measures and emergency economic measures, and emphasized that it is essential to resume cross-border travel, while containing the spread of infection. Minister Motegi also stressed the importance of international cooperation on the development and delivery of vaccines, assstaince to developing countries and information sharing.
- During the meeting, participants showed lessons learnd from their responses to COVID-19. They reaffirmed the important role of G20 in the international cooperation for the recovery of global economy.
(Reference 1) Participants
- G20 Members
Saudi Arabia (Presidency), Japan (the previous Presidency), Italy (the next Presidency), Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Republic of South Africa (Chair of the African Union (AU)), Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, European Union (EU).
- Invited Countries
Spain, Jordan, Singapore, Switzerland, Rwanda (Chair of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)), Viet Nam (Chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)).
- International Organizations
United Nations, World Health Organization (WHO),World Bank, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
(Reference 2) Participants from Japan in the past G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meetings.
- 2019 (Nagoya): Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan (Chair)
- 2018 (Argentina): Mr. KONO Taro, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
- 2017 (Germany): Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan