The Signing of the Memorandum of Cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan, the Department of Industry of Canada and the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development of Canada on Industrial Science and Technology
September 22, 2023
- On September 21st (the same date in Ottawa time), in Ottawa, Canada, Mr. Nishimura Yasutoshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan, who is visiting Canada, and H.E. Mr. Yamanouchi Kanji, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to Canada, signed the Memorandum of Cooperation on Industrial Science and Technology with the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry of Canada, and the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Export Promotion, International Trade and Economic Development.
- In this Memorandum of Cooperation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan, the Department of Industry of Canada and the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development of Canada, have concurred on the following contents amid the growing importance of economic security in order to promote the development of cooperation between the parties involved in the fields of science and technology, such as (i) advanced manufacturing, (ii) artificial intelligence (AI), (iii) clean technology, clean energy and carbon reduction technology, (iv) life sciences, (v) quantum, and (vi) semiconductors, between Japan and Canada:
- Collaborating to discover joint research startups between Japan and Canada through grants or matching schemes;
- Promoting joint research and development activities between Japan and Canada by utilizing Global Research and Development Center for Business by Quantum-AI technology (G-QuAT) in the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), etc.;
- Strengthening collaboration by promoting joint research among research institutes and companies in Japan and Canada for the exchange and development of people and utilizing international conferences, workshops and seminars;
- Supporting effective standards setting relevant to industrial science and technology through information sharing, etc.; and
- Pursuing cooperation projects through the newly established Japan-Canada Industrial R&D Policy Dialogue, etc.
- Taking advantage of this signing, Japan will further accelerate cooperation with Canada in the field of industrial technology.