The 32nd Japan-Canada Joint Economic Committee
December 23, 2022
- On December 23, the 32nd meeting of Japan-Canada Joint Economic Committee (JEC) was held in an online format. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- The meeting was chaired by Mr. ONO Keiichi, Senior Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan and Mr. Rob Stewart, Deputy Minister of International Trade, Global Affairs Canada. Other attendants included H.E. Mr. YAMANOUCHI Kanji, Ambassador of Japan to Canada and H.E. Mr. Ian G. Mckay, Ambassador of Canada to Japan, as well as officials from both Japanese and Canadian governments and the Embassy of Japan in Canada.
- The co-chairs reviewed the progress so far on the 6 priority areas of cooperation in the JEC framework consisting of 1) Energy, 2) Infrastructure, 3) Science and Technology Cooperation and Innovation, 4) Tourism and Youth Exchanges, 5) Improving Business Environment and Promoting Investment, and 6) Agriculture, and exchanged views on possibilities of cooperation in future.
- Furthermore, the co-chairs exchanged views on the current international economic environment including CPTPP and WTO, economic security, as well as Energy Security, Free Trade Promotion and Trade Agreement Implementation, Environment and Climate Change within “Shared Japan-Canada Priorities Contributing to a Free and Open Indo-Pacific”.
- The co-chairs concurred in issuing the joint press release (English (PDF) / Japanese (PDF)), after the meeting.