The 66th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency to be held in Vienna
September 20, 2022
- The 66th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be held from September 26 to 30 in Vienna.
- During the General Conference, Ms. TAKAICHI Sanae, Minister of State of Cabinet Office will make a statement on Japan’s efforts about NPT Review Conference, nuclear safety and security at the nuclear facilities in Ukraine, peaceful uses of nuclear energy, decommissioning management of TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, nuclear non-proliferation and gender parity (pre-recorded video).
- The representatives of the Member States will discuss nuclear non-proliferation issues including safeguards activities, nuclear security, technical cooperation, nuclear safety and other issues.
- Dr. UESAKA Mitsuru, Chairman of Japan Atomic Energy Commission of Cabinet Office, and Mr. HIKIHARA Takeshi, Permanent Representative and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna, will attend the General Conference as representatives of the Government of Japan.
- The IAEA is an international organization (175 Member States – as of August 2022) which was established in July 1957 for the purpose of promoting peaceful uses of nuclear energy and application of safeguards to prevent the diversion of nuclear energy for military use.
- Safeguards are verification measures, such as inspections, undertaken by the IAEA in accordance with the safeguards agreements concluded by each individual country and the IAEA, in order to guarantee that nuclear material is being used solely for peaceful purposes and is not being diverted for use in nuclear weapons or the like.