Informal Ministerial Discussion on the Trade Pillar of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF) for Prosperity
On June 11, Mr. MIYAKE Shingo, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, participated in the informal Ministerial Discussion on the trade pillar of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF) held in Paris, France, representing the Japanese government. From the Ministry of Economic, Trade and Industry, Mr. HIROSE Naoshi, Vice-Minister for International Affairs attended. The overview of the discussion is as follows:
- This informal ministerial meeting was hosted by H.E. Ambassador Katherine Tai, United States Trade Representative, attended by representatives from Australia, Brunei, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- The participants discussed trade, one of the four pillars of the IPEF. Parliamentary Vice-Minister MIYAKE mentioned the importance of having thorough discussions among partner countries to establish a framework that strikes a balance between cooperation and rule-making.
- Each participant also expressed hope for further discussions toward tangible outcomes in the future.
(Note : Attendees from each country other than Japan and U.S.) (in alphabetical order)
- Australia: Senator Tim Ayres, Assistant Minister for Trade, Assistant Minister for Manufacturing
- Brunei Darussalam: Dato Seri Setia Dr Awang Haji Mohd Amin Liew bin Abdullah, Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II
- Fiji: Mr. Shaheen Ali, Permanent Secretary for Commerce, Trade, Tourism and Transport, Town and Country Planning
- India: Shri Amit Yadav, Additional Secretary for Commerce
- Indonesia: Mr. Djatmiko B Witjaksono, Ministry of Trade, Director General of International Trade Negotiations
- Malaysia: Dato’ SeriMohamed Azmin bin Ali, Senior Minister, Minister of International Trade and Industry
- New Zealand: Hon. Damien O’Connor, Minister for Trade and Export Growth
- Philippines: Dr. Ceferino S. Rodolfo, Undersecretary for Industry Development and Trade Policy Group, Department of Trade and Industry
- Republic of Korea: Dr. Ahn Duk-geun, Minister for Trade, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
- Singapore: Mr. Gan Kim Yong, Minister for Trade and Industry
- Thailand: Mrs. Pimchanok Pitfield, Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the WTO and the WIPO
- Vietnam: H.E.Ms. Le Thi Hong Van, Ambassador, Permanent Delegate to UNESCO