Japan-Singapore Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
On May 25, commencing at 10:30 a.m., for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a Japan-Singapore Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Singapore. The overview is as follows.
- Opening Remarks
Minister Hayashi welcomed Minister Balakrishnan’s visit to Japan, stating that Japan intended to strengthen cooperation with Singapore towards a “Free and Open Indo-Pacific.” In response, Minister Balakrishnan expressed his intention to further enhance cooperation on bilateral relations as well as regional and global challenges.
- Bilateral Relations
Both Ministers concurred on further promotion of the bilateral cooperation including the area of digital.
- Regional Situations and Cooperation in the International Arena
- (1) Both ministers condemned Russia’s aggression against Ukraine and confirmed that they would continue to coordinate with each other on that front.
- (2) Both Ministers confirmed that they would collaborate on tackling regional and international challenges including the situations of the East and South China Seas as well as Myanmar.
- (3) Both Ministers confirmed continued coordination in response to North Korea’s nuclear and missile activities such as ballistic missile launches including the ones today as well as the abductions issue.
- (4) Both ministers confirmed the importance of maintaining the high standard of the TPP, taking into account that Singapore serves as Chair of the TPP Commission for this year. Both Ministers also welcomed the launch of IPEF and confirmed that both countries would work together in this regard.