Adoption of the Decision on the Olympic Truce Resolution for the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020
On Monday, July 6, a Decision to correct “Building a peaceful and better world through sport and the Olympic ideal” (popularly known as the “Olympic Truce Resolution”), submitted by Japan to the 74th United Nations General Assembly in New York, was adopted.
1. This Decision is to correct the dates of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 stipulated in the Olympic Truce Resolution adopted last December in the United Nations General Assembly in accordance with the postponement of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 (TOKYO 2020 Games) to next summer.
2. With this adoption of the Decision, the General Assembly will urge member states to observe truce among all the member states during the TOKYO 2020 Games next summer.
3. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan will continue to work for the success of the TOKYO 2020 Games next summer in close collaboration with the relevant authorities.
1. Building a peaceful and better world through sport and the Olympic ideal (popularly know as the “Olympic Truce Resolution”)
(1) It is a United Nations General Assembly resolution that has been regularly adopted since its first adoption in relation to the Lillehammer Winter Games in 1994, calling for a truce in Yugoslavia. The Olympic Truce Resolution submitted by Japan last autumn was adopted by consensus with 186 co-sponsoring countries last December.
(2) Beside the Olympic Truce, the Resolution includes the basic concept of the TOKYO 2020 Games and Japan’ initiatives such as “Sport for Tomorrow” (an international contribution through sport jointly implemented by public and private sectors) and the Host Town Initiative. The resolution also includes a message of Japan’s appreciation for the support from the international community following the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011 and Japan’s commitment to the reconstruction of the disaster-affected region.
2. Official name of the “Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020”
Even though the TOKYO 2020 Games was postponed to next summer, the name of the “Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020” remains unchanged.