Dispatch of Japan Ground Self-Defense Force
to training of the UN Triangular Partnership Project
(Asia and the Surrounding regions)
1. Japan will dispatch 28 personnel from the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) and 1 Program Liaison and Coordination Officer from Cabinet Office, Secretariat of the International Peace Cooperation to the training under the UN Triangular Partnership Project (TPP) which is implemented by the UN Department of Operational Support. The training which will take place from February 10th to March 13th aims to train trainers for engineering personnel from countries in Asia and the surrounding regions on the operation of heavy equipment.
2. This project aims to overcome those recent challenges such as the lack of capabilities and skills of enablers of the PKO missions.
Japan has earned solid credibility for its engineering and transport units, which are indispensable for enabling smooth operations of PKOs. To support the rapid deployment of PKOs and bring about high quality operations, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe expressed a commitment to contribute to the rapid deployment of these equipment and personnel with engineering capabilities at the 1st Leader’s Summit on Peacekeeping held at the UN Headquarters in September 2014. Following this commitment, Japan has supported this project by dispatching JSDF personnel and officers to conduct training of engineering personnel from African countries since 2015.
3. Since 2018, this project has been extended to Asia and the surrounding regions. Japan has dispatched 39 personnel from JGSDF and the Secretariat of the International Peace Cooperation in total and trained 36 engineering personnel from the regions above on operation of heavy equipment so far. This dispatch is subsequent to these previous support.
【Reference】Outline of the training
- Period of training：February 10th - March 13th, 2020
- Location of training：Vicinity surrounding Hanoi (The People's Army of Vietnam 249 Engineering Brigade Camp)
- Instructors：29 personnel led by LTC Abe Go
- Contents of the training：Training the trainers from countries in Asia and the surrounding regions on the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment