Foreign Minister Kono to Visit China
April 12, 2019
1. Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, is scheduled to visit Beijing, People’s Republic of China, from April 13 to April 15.
2. During the visit, Foreign Minister Kono will hold a Japan-China Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with H.E. Mr. Wang Yi, State Councilor and Foreign Minister of China. In addition, the two Ministers will co-chair the Fifth Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue.
3. An opening ceremony for the Japan-China Youth Exchange Promotion Year will also be held.
[Reference 1] Schedule of Minister Kono’s Visit
April 13 AM Depart Haneda PM Arrive in Beijing 15 PM Depart Beijing Arrive in Haneda
[Reference 2] Recent reciprocal visits and meetings between Japanese and Chinese foreign ministers
- January 27-28, 2018 Foreign Minister Kono visits China
- April 15-17, 2018 State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang visits Japan
- August 2, 2018 Japan-China Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings)
- September 27, 2018 Japan-China Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (United Nations General Assembly)
- October 25-26, 2018 Foreign Minister Kono visits China (accompanies Prime Minister Abe’s visit to China)
[Reference 3] Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue (Overview)
(1) When Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, visited China in October 2006, the leaders of Japan and China agreed to establish the Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue from the standpoint of the “Mutually Beneficial Relationship Based on Common Strategic Interests,” as a platform of holding regular dialogue among economic ministers for discussing solutions to problems and cooperation in the area of economics from a broad perspective. A launching conference took place in Tokyo (at the Iikura Guest House of MOFA) in the presence of the Prime Ministers of Japan and China on the occasion of the visit to Japan by H.E. Mr. Wen Jiabao, Premier of the State Council of China, in April 2009. The Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogues have been held four times thus far.
(2) Previous Dialogues
- First, December 1, 2007, Beijing
- Second, June 7, 2009, Tokyo
- Third, August 28, 2010, Beijing
- Fourth, April 16, 2018, Tokyo
[Reference 4] Japan-China Youth Exchange Promotion Year
During Prime Minister Abe’s visit to China in October 2018, he and H.E. Mr. Li Keqiang, Premier of the State Council of China, agreed to designate 2019 as a “Japan-China Youth Exchange Promotion Year” to deepen mutual trust and understanding between the peoples of the two countries and implement exchanges of 30,000 youths in the next five years.