Study Tour to hydrogen energy facilities for the Diplomatic Corps
March 18, 2019
1. On Tuesday, March 19, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will organize a Study Tour to hydrogen energy facilities in Kawasaki City and Yokohama City for the Diplomatic Corps in cooperation with the Agency of Natural Resources and Energy, Ministry of the Environment and Kawasaki City.
2. The study tour aims at introducing to the diplomatic corps Japan’s efforts based on the “Basic Hydrogen Strategy” and disseminating the information about Japan’s hydrogen energy technologies and related measures to the world.
3. A lot of facilities related to hydrogen and fuel cell technologies are concentrated in the waterfront area of Kawasaki City and Yokohama City. The study tour plans to visit a hydrogen filling station at Mitsubishi Kakoki Kaisha, Ltd., a demonstration facility of “SPERA Hydrogen System” at Chiyoda Corporation and a hydrogen-based autonomous energy supply system (H2ONE) produced by Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation.
4. In addition to the visit, a seminar about the policy and technology to facilitate the usage and application of hydrogen will be held at Kawasaki King Skyfront Tokyu REI Hotel which utilizes hydrogen energy.
[Note 1] Basic Hydrogen Strategy (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Website)
The Strategy shows future visions that Japan should achieve with an eye on 2050 and also serves as an action plan to accomplish the visions by 2030. It was decided at the second meeting of the Ministerial Council on Renewable Energy, Hydrogen and Related Issues held in December 26, 2017.
[Note 2] SPERA Hydrogen
SPERA Hydrogen System offers a way to store and transport a lot of hydrogen in the form of a stable liquid at ambient temperature and pressure.
[Note 3] Participating countries (in alphabetical order) [16 participants from 14 countries (as of March 18, 2019)]
Argentina, Canada, China, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy,Republic of Korea,
the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Viet Nam.
[Note 4] Schedule
Tuesday March 19, 2019
- Kawasaki King Skyfront Tokyu REI Hotel
- Mitsubishi Kakoki Kaisha, Ltd. (hydrogen filling station)
- Chiyoda Corporation Koyasu Office & Research Park (demonstration facility of “SPERA Hydrogen System”)
- Kawasaki Marien (hydrogen-based autonomous energy supply system (H2ONE) produced by Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation)