Cyberattacks by a group based in China known as APT10
(Statement by Press Secretary Takeshi Osuga)
1. Security of cyberspace is extremely important to ensure peace and prosperity of the international community including Japan.
2. In this context, from December 20 to 21(local time), the United Kingdom, the United States and other countries issued a statement on a group conducting cyberattacks based in China known as APT10. Japan has, with deep concern, been paying close attention to these attacks by APT10 which threaten the security of cyberspace, and strongly supports the determination of the United Kingdom, the United States and other countries to uphold the rules-based international order in cyberspace.
3. Japan has identified continuous attacks by the group known as APT10 to various domestic targets including private companies and academic institutions and expresses resolute condemnation of such attacks.
4. All the G20 members, including China, have affirmed their commitment to the prohibition of ICT enabled theft of intellectual property, and are required to take responsible actions as a member of the international community.
5. The Government of Japan will issue an alert to call upon adequate domestic cybersecurity measures.
6. Japan will continue to closely cooperate with the international community and make efforts in order to ensure a free, fair and secure cyberspace.