Tenth Mekong-Japan Summit Meeting to be held in Tokyo
October 4, 2018
1. The Tenth Mekong-Japan Summit Meeting (hereinafter referred to as “the Mekong-Japan Summit”) will be held in Tokyo on October 9th.
2. This meeting is scheduled to attended from Japan by Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister, who will serve as Chair, and from the five Mekong countries by Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, H.E. Dr. Thongloun Sisoulith, Prime Minister of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, H.E. Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, H.E. Mr. Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand, and H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam.
3. The Mekong-Japan Summit Meeting has been held every year since 2009 to strengthen the relationship between Japan and the Mekong countries, and for the sustainable development of and narrowing the development gap within the Mekong region. The Summit is held once every three years in Japan, and this is one of those years.
4. At this year’s Summit, the leaders will exchange their views, for further strong growth and development, mainly on the following three areas: (a) Connectivity, (b) People and (c) Environment. Subsequently, the leaders will formulate new principle for the Mekong-Japan cooperation.
5. Additionally, the Mekong leaders are scheduled to interact with the business community，while Prime Minister HUN SEN will also visit Kanagawa and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi will visit Fukushima.
6. Furthermore, the leaders will interact with youth football players attending “Japan-Mekong Youth Exchange Program (football)” organized as a part of the Japan-East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths (JENESYS2018) by Japan International Cooperation Center (JICE).
7. This Summit is expected to further strengthen the relationship between Japan and the Mekong region.