The 62nd General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency to be held in Vienna
1. The 62nd General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be held from September 17 to 21 in Vienna.
2. Mr. Masaji MATSUYAMA, Minister of State of Cabinet Office, and Mr. Mitsuru KITANO, Permanent Representative and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna, will attend the General Conference as representatives of the Government of Japan. Members of the Cabinet Office; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; the Ministry of Environment; the Nuclear Regulation Authority will also participate as alternates.
3. At the beginning of the General Conference, Minister MATSUYAMA will make a statement on Japan’s efforts on nuclear non-proliferation and peaceful use of nuclear energy. During the session, the representatives of the Member States will discuss nuclear non-proliferation including the safeguards system, nuclear security, technical cooperation and nuclear safety, and other issues.
(1) The IAEA is an international organization (170 Member States – as of September 2018) which was established in July 1957 for the purpose of promoting peaceful uses of nuclear energy and application of safeguards to prevent the diversion of nuclear energy for military use.
(2) Safeguards are verification measures, such as inspections, undertaken by the IAEA in accordance with the safeguards agreements concluded by each individual country and IAEA, in order to guarantee that nuclear material is being used solely for peaceful purposes and is not being diverted for use in nuclear weapons or the like.