Japan-Turkey Foreign Ministers’ Meeting and Working Dinner
June 21, 2017
1. On June 21, Mr. Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a Foreign Ministers’ Meeting and working dinner with H.E. Mr. Mevlut CAVUSOGLU, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey, who is visiting Japan upon invitation by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, from 18:30 for roughly two hours and thirty minutes.
2. Mr. Kishida welcomed the visit of Minister Cavusoglu, who is one of the most Japanophile person of the Turkish political circle. Mr. Kishida stressed his intention to build a wide and multitiered relationship between the two countries and to renew both countries’ mutual understanding with the basis of the each other’s historical friendship. Also, the ministers confirmed the importance on further advancing interaction betweenauthorities, parliaments and intellectuals.
3. Mr. Kishida mentioned about negotiations on Japan-Turkey Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) and Agreement on Social Security, and cooperation on infrastructure referring to recent investment growth from Japan to Turkey. Mr. Kishida also mentioned about further cooperation for the establishment of Turkish and Japanese Science and Technology University and cooperation on cultural aspects such as archaeology field.
4. Mr. Cavusoglu mentioned the importance of high level visits to each country and theimportance of early conclusion of negotiations on Japan-Turkey EPA and Agreement on Social Security, for the increase of trade and investment. Mr. Cavusoglu also mentioned about Turkey’s expectation on Japanese companies’ participation to large infrastructure projects, and on recovery of the number of tourists from Japan. Mr. Cavusogluexplained about Turkey’s concerns related to the attempted coup attack from last year.
5. During the working dinner, both ministers discussed views on the situations in East Asia such as North Korea and the situations in the Middle East such as Syria.