“GUAM+Japan” Workshop on Tourism Promotion
January 27, 2017
1. “GUAM+Japan” Workshop on Tourism Promotion will be held from January 29 to February 4. H.E. Mr. Altai Efendiev, Secretary General of GUAM, government officials and representatives of the private sector in charge of Tourism Promotion from GUAM member countries, as well as staff of the GUAM secretariat, are invited to Japan by the Government of Japan to participate in the Workshop.
2. The participants will give presentations of GUAM tourism products for Japanese customers and exchange opinions with Japanese experts in the field. During their stay, the participants will visit Japanese organizations and facilities related tourism promotion policies.
3. The Workshop is expected to contribute to the further deepening of the close relationship between Japan and the GUAM member countries.
(1) “Organization for Democracy and Economic Development-GUAM”
GUAM is a regional forum for dialogue and cooperation, established in 1997 by four former Soviet states (Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova), with the common goal of promoting democracy and economic development within market economies (GUAM, the name of the organization, is an acronym made up of the first letter of each member nation). The organization’s secretariat is located in Kyiv, the capital city of Ukraine.
(2) “GUAM+Japan” Meetings and “GUAM+Japan” Workshops
The first “GUAM+Japan” Meeting took place during the 2nd GUAM Summit, which was held in Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, in June 2007. In December 2015, “GUAM-Japan Cooperation Program,” which identifies the outcomes of cooperation between Japan and GUAM and sets the future direction, was signed at the 3rd “GUAM+Japan” ministerial meeting. The workshops on energy security, medical field and water management were organized as the series of “GUAM-Japan” Workshops and this Workshop is the 10th case.