Protocol Amending Tax Convention with India will enter into force
September 30, 2016
1. On September 29, the exchange of diplomatic notes for the entry into force of the Protocol Amending the Convention between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Republic of India for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income (signed on December 11, 2015) took place in Tokyo.
2. The Protocol, therefore, will enter into force on October 29, 2016 (the thirtieth day after the date of exchange of diplomatic notes) and will have effect:
(a) in Japan:
(i) with respect to taxes levied on the basis of a taxable year, for taxes for any taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2017; and
- (ii) with respect to taxes not levied on the basis of a taxable year, for taxes levied on or after January 1, 2017; and
(b) in India:
- (i) with respect to taxes withheld at source, for amounts paid or credited on or after April 1, 2017; and
- (ii) with respect to taxes on income for any previous year beginning on or after April 1, 2017.
3. The provisions concerning the exchange of information and the assistance in the collection of taxes shall have effect from October 29, 2016, without regard to the date on which the taxes are levied or the taxable year to which the taxes relate.