Meeting between State Minister for Foreign Affairs Seiji Kihara and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh
July 3, 2016
On July 3, commencing at 1:40 p.m. (10:40 a.m. local time) for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. Seiji Kihara, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a meeting with H.E. Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
1. State Minister Kihara’s opening remarks were as follows:
(1) Such a cowardly and atrocious act is unforgivable for any reason whatsoever, and Japan firmly condemns it. We express our solidarity with Bangladesh in these difficult times. We will continue to collaborate with the international community to support to the maximum extent the efforts of your government in fighting radicalism.
(2) It is regrettable that precious lives were lost in this incident. We are grateful for your response and information regarding the Japanese national who was rescued.
(3) The Japanese Air Force 1 carrying the families from Japan is scheduled to arrive this evening. We request the utmost support from your country so that the injured Japanese national and the remains of the deceased will be returned to Japan in a timely manner.
(4) It should be remembered anew that the individuals who were victims in this attack have been contributing to the development of Bangladesh through Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) projects.
2. In response, Prime Minister Hasina expressed her condolences to the Japanese nationals and stated her desire to provide every support possible, including support for the families, and explained the response of the Government of Bangladesh in this case, stating her will to make efforts to clarify the truth and the cause.