4th Green Mekong Forum to be Held in Bangkok
June 10, 2016
1. The Government of Japan and the Royal Thai Government will co-host the 4th Green Mekong Forum in Bangkok, the Kingdom of Thailand, on June 13.
2. This Forum will be held between Japan and the Mekong countries (the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, the Kingdom of Thailand, and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam) based on the Action Plan for “A Decade toward the Green Mekong” Initiative that was announced in 2010, as one part of Japan-Mekong cooperation for heightening awareness of environmental problems and promoting cooperation on sustainable development.
3. Mr. Takeshi Osuga, Deputy Director-General, Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and H.E. Mr. Kallayana Vipattipumiprates, Ambassador attached to the Ministry, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, will serve as co-chairs at this Forum.
4. The 4th Forum will focus on “Quality Infrastructure” and water resource management. Representatives from the relevant agencies and ministries in Japan and the Mekong countries, as well as the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), a local government (Fukuoka Prefecture) and the Mekong River Commission, respectively, will attend.
5. The attendees are scheduled to exchange views on environmental problems and challenges facing the Mekong region.