Relaxation of Visa Requirements for Chinese Citizens
1. On April 30, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan decided to relax visa requirements for multiple-entry visa for Chinese citizens and for cultural or intellectual figures, as well as to relax visa requirements for students and alumni of certain universities. This decision aims at further broadening people-to-people exchanges between Japan and China so as to contribute to Japan’s initiatives to promote as a tourism-oriented country and vitalize its local economies.
2. The specific measures are as follows:
(1) The scope of applicants eligible for multi-entry visas for short-term stay with business purposes and for cultural or intellectual figures will be expanded. The validity period of the visas will be extended from five years to 10 years maximum.
(2) For students, graduate students and alumni of the universities of the Ministry of Education of China, requirements for single-entry visa will be partially relaxed.
3. The details of the measures including the beginning date of application are currently under consideration.