The 57th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
September 13, 2013
1. The 57th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be held from September 16 to 20 in Vienna.
2. Mr. Ichita YAMAMOTO, Minister of State for Science and Technology Policy, and Mr. Toshiro OZAWA, Permanent Representative and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna, will attend the General Conference as representatives of the Government of Japan. Members of the Cabinet Office; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Nuclear Regulation Authority will also participate as alternates.
3. In the General Conference, the representatives of each government of the Member States will make statements and discuss the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, technical cooperation, nuclear safety, nuclear security, strengthening the safeguards system and its efficiency, the issue of application of safeguards in the DPRK and other issues. The approval of the re-appointment of Director General Yukiya AMANO is also included in the agenda.
1. The IAEA is an international organization (159 Member States – as of September 2013) which was established in July 1957 for the purpose of promoting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and application of safeguards to prevent the diversion of nuclear energy for military use.
2. Safeguards are applied based on safeguards agreements between the IAEA and countries concerned in order to verify that nuclear energy is not diverted from peaceful to military purposes.
3. Director General Amano assumed his office in December 2009. The IAEA Board of Governors decided to re-appoint Director General Amano for another term in March 2009, and when the re-appointment is approved by the General Conference, he will assume the second term office starting December 1.