Visa Waiver Measure for Nationals of the State of Qatar based on Ordinary Passport Registration System
March 24, 2023
The visa waiver measure for ordinary passport holders of the State of Qatar, based on Ordinary Passport (e-Passport) Registration System will be commenced from April 2, 2023, as the Government of Japan has announced on January 31, 2023. (Note: The visa waiver measure by Qatar for ordinary passport holders of Japan has already been in operation since 2017.)
It is expected that this measure will further advance people-to-people exchanges between Japan and the State of Qatar, consequently contribute to the Government of Japan’s goal of promoting Japan as a tourism-oriented country and supporting regional revitalization.
- Eligibility for the Visa Waiver Measure
Nationals of the State of Qatar in possession of valid ordinary passports (e-passports) of the State of Qatar in compliance with ICAO standards, which are registered at any overseas establishment of Japan (Embassies, Consulates-General, or Consular offices) prior to their departure.
- Outline of the Visa Waiver Measure
・Purpose of visit: Short-term stay (for sightseeing, business, or visit to relatives/friends, etc.)
・Duration of stay: 30 days
・Period of validity: 3 years from the date of registration or duration until expiration date of the passport, whichever comes first
・Application fee: Free
- Application Procedures for Passport Registration
- (1) An applicant (him/herself or his/her representative) must submit his/her ordinary passport (e-passport) and an application form for passport registration to any overseas establishment of Japan.
- (2) The overseas establishment of Japan returns the passport attached with a seal of “Visa Waiver Registration” to the applicant, in principle, on the business day following the date of application.
- (3) A national of the State of Qatar in possession of an ordinary passport (e-passport) attached with a seal of “Visa Waiver Registration” can enter Japan repeatedly without obtaining a new visa, if the national stays there for a period not exceeding 30 consecutive days during the above-mentioned period of validity.
- (1) Unless ordinary passport holders of the State of Qatar have completed the passport registration prior to their departure to Japan, they will be denied to land in Japan at the time of landing examination at the port of entry.
- (2) Ordinary passport holders of the State of Qatar, who plan to stay in Japan more than 30 consecutive days or for the purpose of employment need to obtain a visa in advance.
- (3) If pre-registered ordinary passport holders of the State of Qatar obtain a new passport or if there is a change in the names of such holders, they need to complete the passport registration again.
- (4)The applicants, who have applied for the passport registration but have been denied such registration, are advised to apply for an ordinary visa.