The 24th Japan-Germany Joint Committee Meeting on Science and Technology Cooperation
February 3, 2023
The 24th Japan-Germany Joint Committee Meeting on Science and Technology Cooperation took place on February 1 in Bonn, the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The Joint Committee Meeting was co-chaired by H.E. Ms. KAJI Misako, Ambassador for Science and Technology Cooperation, and Mr. Armin Reinartz, Head of Directorate-General,European and International Cooperation in Education and Research, Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Attendees were representatives from both countries' relevant ministries and agencies.
- During the meeting, both sides 1) exchanged views on the recent development of respective national science, technology and innovation policies, 2) discussed the current status and future direction of cooperation, including cooperation between regional clusters, in such research fields as information and communication technology, hydrogen technology, automated driving technology, marine and polar research, battery, and agriculture, 3) explored possible areas for future cooperation, such as bioeconomy and research integrity, and 4) compared notes to pursue further collaborations among major funding agencies and research organizations.
- The Joint Committee agreed to hold the next meeting in Japan at a date to be coordinated through diplomatic channels.
Japan-Germany Joint Committee Meeting on Science and Technology Cooperation
- (1) The two countries concluded a science and technology cooperation agreement in October 1974. Article 3 stipulates the establishment of a joint committee meeting as an intergovernmental framework to discuss science and technology policy matters related to the implementation of the agreement and to review activities and results based on the agreement.
- (2) Based on this agreement, the joint committee meeting has been held alternately in Japan and Germany. The last (23rd) meeting was held in Tokyo in February 2019.