Joint Statement by International Science and Technology Advisors
on the Occasion of the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2021
On December 6, Prof. MATSUMOTO Yoichiro, Science and Technology Advisor to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, and Prof. KANO Mitsunobu, Science and Technology Co-Advisor to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, together with like-minded international Science and Technology Advisors, have co-signed on a joint statement titled "Promoting Global Utilization of Science, Technology and Innovation for Food Systems Transformation to Ensure the Health of People and the Planet (STEPP)" (PDF ), on the occasion of the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2021.
- In this statement, the co-signed Science and Technology Advisers within Foreign Ministries/Diplomatic Services/Governments put forward their commitment to further engaging in advisory activities towards:
1) Promoting the active utilization of STI in international cooperation programs by each government on food security and nutrition for all, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and inclusive and equitable food systems that address the needs of vulnerable communities;
2) Promoting bilateral and multilateral STI cooperation while examining and integrating traditional and indigenous knowledge and while utilizing STI to meet economic and social conditions of each country/region, through close dialogues, with a view to leveraging STI in relevant sectors; and
3) Promoting interdisciplinary human resources development and personnel exchange for utilizing STI effectively and efficiently;
while counting on all stakeholders to take revolutionary steps forward together for Food Systems Transformation to ensure the health of people and the planet.
- Regarding promoting the utilization of Japan's STI, the Advisory Board for Promoting Science and Technology Diplomacy led by Prof. MATSUMOTO and Prof. KANO compiled an STI showcase (PDF) that presents the strengths of Japan's STI.