Meeting between Foreign Minister MOTEGI and H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid,
President-elect of the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly
On August 27, commencing at around 2:00 p.m. for approximately thirty minutes, Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a meeting with H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, President-elect of the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) (Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Maldives). The overview of the meeting is as follows:
- At the outset, Minister Motegi congratulated Mr. Abdulla Shahid on his election as President of the 76th session of the UNGA and stated that Japan would extend full support to President Shahid in addressing challenges faced by the international community. In response, President Shahid expressed his appreciation for the invitation from Japan and the support of Minister Motegi.
- Minister Motegi explained Japan’s efforts in fighting against the COVID-19 pandemic through provision of vaccines, and shared Japan’s initiatives in addressing climate change. In response, President Shahid expressed his appreciation for Japan's contribution in addressing these global issues.
- Minister Motegi emphasized the importance of the UN Security Council reform and expressed his expectation for President Shahid's leadership in realizing the reform.
- The two sides expressed grave concerns over the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan and confirmed the importance that the international community send a concerted message. They also exchanged views on addressing issues related to North Korea. Minister Motegi sought understanding and cooperation towards the immediate resolution of the abductions issue, to which President Shahid offered his support.
- The two sides also exchanged views on the bilateral relationship of Japan and Maldives, and concurred to further strengthen the relationship.