Japan-Indonesia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (Japan-Indonesia Ministerial-Level Strategic Dialogue)
On March 6, commencing at 6:05 p.m., Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a Japan-Indonesia Ministerial-Level Strategic Dialogue with H.E. Ms. Retno L.P. Marsudi, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia, during her visit to Japan as a guest of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, for approximately 75 minutes. The overview is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi welcomed Minister Retno’s visit to Japan on this commemorative year marking the 65th anniversary of the establishment of the diplomatic the relations between Japan and Indonesia and the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation . Furthermore, with Japan holding the G7 Presidency and Indonesia serving as the ASEAN Chair this year, Minister Hayashi expressed his intention to engage in very close communication so as to make this a highly fruitful year, including the ASEAN-Japan Commemorative Summit . In response, Minister Retno expressed her gratitude for the Japanese side’s invitation on this occasion and its hospitality, as well as her intention to continue to work closely with Minister Hayashi in strengthening bilateral relations and responding to regional and international affairs.
- Regarding bilateral relations, Minister Hayashi stated that Japan will continue to extend its cooperation for various initiatives, including the improvement of maritime security and safety capabilities , the development of the Natuna Islands , infrastructure development such as the North-South Line and East-West Line of the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system in Jakarta and Patimban Port , and energy transition initiatives including coordination on the Asia Zero Emission Community (AZEC) Concept . Minister Retno expressed gratitude for Japan’s cooperation to date and the two ministers exchanged views on future cooperation. Furthermore, the two Ministers concurred to further develop the Strategic Partnership between Japan and Indonesia.
- Minister Hayashi provided explanations including on Japan’s National Security Strategy , and Minister Retno expressed her gratitude for the explanation and her intention to work closely with Japan to for the regional peace and stability based on the rule of law.
- Minister Hayashi expressed his intention to promote even greater cooperation towards the realization of a “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” and the “ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific (AOIP),” and stated that Japan intends to provide its utmost support to Indonesia, the ASEAN Chair, on the occasion of the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation. The two ministers affirmed that they will work together to further strengthen the Japan-ASEAN relations.
- Regarding regional and international affairs, the two ministers exchanged views on various challenges, including the situation in Ukraine, the situation in the East and South China Seas, the response to North Korea including the nuclear and missile issues and the abductions issue, the situation in Myanmar, strengthening the United Nation’s functions including Security Council reform, and nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, and shared the view to coordinate closely on these challenges.