Foreign Minister Hayashi’s Meeting with H.E. Mr. Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly
On February 15, commencing at 8:00 p.m. for approximately twenty minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a meeting with H.E. Mr. Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), visiting Japan by the invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Minister Hayashi hosted a dinner with President Kőrösi for approximately one hour. The overview of the meeting is as follows:
- Minister Hayashi and President Kőrösi concurred that, as the foundation of the international order is being greatly disrupted, the role of the UNGA and its President are becoming increasingly important in setting the direction for the international community.
- They also concurred to work closely for the Emergency Special Session of the UNGA which will resume from February 22, taking into consideration the recent situation surrounding Ukraine in the face of the one-year anniversary of Russia's aggression. They shared the view that this session would be an important occasion to reaffirm the international community’s strong will to uphold the UN Charter as well as the rule of law.
- Furthermore, towards the Summit of the Future to be held next year, they concurred to work closely to heighten the momentum of discussions among member states towards the UN Security Council Reform and strengthening the role of UN General Assembly. They also shared the view on the importance of UN reform and the strengthening of UN functions.
- During dinner, they discussed cooperations to address global issues including nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, health, climate change, water and so on. In addition, Minister Hayashi gave an explanation about Japan’s efforts regarding the handling of ALPS-treated water and President Kőrösi showed understanding for this matter. They affirmed to closely coordinate toward the success of the coming UNGA High-Level Week regarding these various issues.
- They also exchanged views on international and regional affairs including North Korea. Minister Hayashi asked for understanding and cooperation towards the immediate resolution of the abductions issue and gained the support of President Kőrösi.