Courtesy Call on Foreign Minister HAYASHI Yoshimasa by Lt.Gen. Hun Manet, Commander of the Royal Cambodian Army
February 14, 2022
On February 14, commencing at 5:45 p.m. for approximately 1 hour, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, received a courtesy call from Lt.Gen. Hun Manet, Commander of the Royal Cambodian Army. The overview is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi stated that Japan and Cambodia share strong relations and are working closely together on the issues of the international community such as the situation in Myanmar. Furthermore, Minister Hayashi expressed his appreciation to Cambodia’s support to “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” and also expressed his intention to further strengthen cooperation between the two countries, including in the field of security, taking advantage of the opportunity presented by Commander Hun Manet’s visit to Japan.
- Minister Hayashi stated that Japan-Cambodia relations are developing strongly, while touching upon the COVID-19 related assistance extended by Japan to Cambodia including the provision of approximately 1.3 million vaccine doses and a total of 45 billion yen in yen loans.
- In addition, Minister Hayashi expressed Japan’s intention to cooperate with Cambodia to ensure that Cambodia’s commune elections this June and its general election next year will be held in a way that reflects the diverse voices of the Cambodian people. Commander Hun Manet expressed his gratitude for Japan’s contribution to Cambodia’s peace process, reconstruction, and economic development, as well as his intention to exert every effort to strengthen relations with Japan.
- Minister Hayashi and Commander Hun Manet also exchanged views on regional affairs, and Minister Hayashi expressed his intention to continue to coordinate with Cambodia in responding to the situation in Myanmar, the South China Sea issue, and North Korea including the abductions issue.
- Minister Hayashi and Commander Hun Manet shared the view to cooperate toward the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Cambodia as well as the 50th anniversary of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation in 2023.