"GUAM+Japan" Agriculture Workshop
March 6, 2013
- "GUAM+Japan" Agriculture Workshop will be held from Sunday, March 10 to Monday, March 18. Government officials in charge of agriculture for GUAM (please see notes) member countries, as well as staff of the GUAM secretariat, are invited to Japan by the Government of Japan to hold the Workshop.
- The participants will give presentations to people concerned about to agriculture policy in the GUAM countries. They will also visit Japanese organizations related to agriculture policy or industries such as plant and food factories, wholesale markets and agricultural cooperative to exchange views on how to manage agricultural policy and food sanitation.
- This Workshop is expected to contribute to the further deepening of the close relationship between Japan and the GUAM member countries.
(1) "Organization for Democracy and Economic Development-GUAM"
GUAM is a regional forum for support and dialogue created in 1997 by Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova, four countries that were part of the former Soviet Union, with the common goal of promoting democracy and economic development within market economies (GUAM, the name of the organization, is an acronym made up of the first letter of each member nation). The organization's secretariat is located in Kyiv, the capital city of Ukraine.
(2) "GUAM+Japan" Meetings and "GUAM+Japan" Workshops
The first "GUAM+Japan" Meeting took place during the Second GUAM Summit, which was held in Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, in June 2007. The Second "GUAM+Japan" ministerial meeting held in Vilnius, Lithuania in December 2011 was the most recent meeting within this framework. During the meeting, both sides exchanged views on direction of cooperation between Japan and GUAM. The workshops on tourism promotion and energy security were organized as the series of "GUAM+Japan" Workshops, and the agricultural workshop is the sixth case.
- (* The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original in Japanese.)