Japan-United States of America Relations
Japan-U.S. Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
May 19, 2023
On May 19, commencing at 5:45 p.m. for approximately 45 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a meeting with the Honorable Antony Blinken, Secretary of State of the United States of America, who is visiting Japan. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi expressed his pleasure to welcome Secretary Blinken to Hiroshima. The two ministers confirmed that the Japan-U.S. relationship, with the Japan-U.S. Alliance at its core, the cornerstone of peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region, has never been stronger, and confirmed to continue to cooperate in a variety of fields.
- The two ministers exchanged their views on Japan-U.S. security cooperation, and concurred to steadily implement cooperation to further strengthen the deterrence and response capabilities of the Japan-U.S. Alliance.
- The two ministers exchanged views on regional issues.
- (1) The two ministers concurred on continuing to work closely together in addressing issues related to China. The two ministers also confirmed the importance of cooperating with China on shared challenges.
- (2) The two ministers concurred on continuing to work closely together between Japan and the U.S., Japan and the ROK, as well as among Japan, the U.S., and the ROK toward the complete denuclearization of North Korea in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions. Minister Hayashi also asked for continued understanding and cooperation of the U.S. for the immediate resolution of the abductions issue, and once again gained full support from Secretary Blinken.
- (3) Regarding Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, the two ministers concurred on continuing severe sanctions against Russia and strong support for Ukraine in close coordination with the G7 and other like-minded countries.
- The two ministers concurred to substantiate economic security cooperation in the Economic “2+2”. The two ministers had a discussion on the IPEF. Minister Hayashi conveyed Japan’s views and efforts on the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
- The two ministers concurred on further promoting Japan-U.S. cooperation in the area of space.
- The two ministers concurred on continuing to work together, making full use of the momentum from the G7 Hiroshima Summit and looking toward APEC, which the U.S. holds the chair this year.