Visit to Ueda Sōko Ryū Wafudo
(G7 Hiroshima Summit Partners’ Program, Day 1)
May 19, 2023
On May 19, Mrs. KISHIDA Yuko, the Spouse of the Prime Minister of Japan, hosted the G7 Hiroshima Summit Partners’ Program (Day 1) in Hiroshima and visited Ueda Sōko Ryū Wafudo with the G7 leaders’ partners. The partners who joined this visit were (1) Dr. Jill Biden, the First Lady of the United States of America, (2) Mrs. Britta Ernst, the Spouse of Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, (3) Mrs. Akshata Murty, the Spouse of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and (4) Prof. Dr. Heiko Echter von der Leyen, the Spouse of the President of the European Commission.
- At the lunch, Mrs. KISHIDA once again extended welcome remarks to the G7 leaders’ spouses. Mrs. KISHIDA also offered savory kaiseki cuisine using (tea-ceremony dishes) seasonal ingredients from Hiroshima and expressed her hope that the guests would enjoy the kaiseki cuisine using seasonal ingredients from Hiroshima with plates and presentations with seasonal elements. It was a significant opportunity to introduce the appeal of Japanese washoku cuisine to the world.
- (1) Date and time: Friday, May 19, 13:15 to 15:20
- (2) Venue: Ueda Sōko Ryū Wafudo
- (3) Chef: Mr. Hideo Watanabe (Kaiseki Watanabe)
- (4) Menu and drinks served (PDF)
- After the lunch, the spouses enjoyed the unique Japanese aroma and mannerisms with an explanation of the traditional Japanese culture of kodo incense ceremony by the grand master of the Oie Ryū school of kodo.
- Afterwards, in the tea ceremony room, Mrs. KISHIDA and the G7 leaders’ spouses enjoyed a tea ceremony performed by the grandmaster of the Ueda Sōko Ryū, a tradition of Japanese Tea Ceremony. At the tea ceremony, Mrs. KISHIDA explained how to serve tea to the spouses, and they enjoyed a cup of tea in a friendly atmosphere.
- Through the cultural experience at Ueda Sōko Ryū Wafudo, they deepened their understanding of Japanese culture as well as the friendship among the partners.