Japan-United Arab Emirates Relations
Meeting between Foreign Minister HAYASHI and H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the United Arab Emirates
March 20, 2022
On March 20, commencing at 19:30 p.m. (local time; on March 21, 00:30am JST) for approximately 110 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a meeting with H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the United Arab Emirates. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi congratulated on the success of Expo 2022 Dubai, and stated that he would like to further promote the cooperation in various fields under the “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Initiative (CSPI)”, as 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and the UAE. In response, His Highness Sheikh Abdullah expressed his gratitude for Japan’s participation to Expo 2022 Dubai, and said that he is delighted to see the bilateral relations advancing in a wide range of fields such as renewable energy, infrastructure, and space, in addition to the traditional energy field, and that he would like to further strengthen the cooperative relations between the two countries, in coordination with Minister Hayashi.
- Minister Hayashi explained Japan’s basic stance on Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, and the both ministers had a frank exchange of views on the issue from different angles. The both ministers confirmed that, to defend the foundation of the international community, they will continue the close cooperation between the two countries, as well as in international fora.
- The Ministers concurred on closely cooperating in the field of disarmament and non-proliferation through Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Initiative (NPDI). The Ministers were in complete agreement that neither the threat nor the use of nuclear weapons by Russia should be tolerated.
- Minister Hayashi expressed his gratitude for the stable oil supply from the UAE, and for participation of Japanese companies in the projects of crude oil development. He also stated that he is concerned about the increase in oil price affected by the ongoing situation in Ukraine, and that he would like the UAE to contribute to the stabilization of the international oil market by supplying greater amount of oil and securing spare productive capacity, as a leading member of OPEC+. In response, His Highness Sheikh Abdullah stated that the relationship with Japan as a strategic partner is unwavering, and would like to deepen the coordination.
- Furthermore, Minister Hayashi condemned the attacks against Abu Dhabi which were claimed by the Houthis, and expressed his condolences to those who lost their lives and their bereaved families, and prayed for the swift recovery of those who were injured through the incident. The two ministers confirmed that they will continue to exchange their views on the situation in Middle East including Iran and Yemen, and on the one in East Asia, including China and North Korea, and to closely coordinate.