VISA / Residing in Japan
Official visa: Official
July 22, 2015
1. Applicable activities
Activities on the part of those who engage in official business of foreign governments or international organizations recognized by the Government of Japan, and activities on the part of their family members belonging to the same household (excludes the activities described in the section on diplomatic visas).
2. Period of stay
5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 3 months, 30days or 15 days
3. Visa application documents
- (1) Passport
- (2) Photograph
- (3) Note verbale and/or documents issued by the foreign government or international organization, certifying the identity of the person concerned and his or her purposes while visiting Japan
- (4) Visa application form (In some cases this can be omitted)
- (1) Not all official passport holders can obtain an official visa/the Status of Residence of “Official”. Please note that if a foreign national in possession of an official passport visits Japan for a purpose other than official business, such as a holiday, tourism, transit, etc., the foreign national will be granted the Status of Residence of “Temporary visitor” (period of stay of 15 days, 30 days or 90 days), and will not be exempt from the obligation to provide fingerprints and other biological information at the time of the examination for landing.
- (2) Please also note that the nationalities eligible for visa exemptions are different for official passport holders than those applying with regular/ordinary passports. For details please refer to here.