Japan-Russia Foreign Ministerial Meeting
Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held his second foreign ministerial meeting with Mr. Sergey Lavrov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, for approximately 32 minutes on the occasion of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly in New York.
It was a fruitful meeting that contributed to preparation for a summit meeting that will be held on the occasion of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meeting in November, and Minister Kono’s visit to Russia, which will take place in November or December.
1. North Korea
Minister Kono strongly urged Russia, which has influence on North Korea, to encourage North Korea. In addition, the two ministers shared the view that Japan and Russia will collaborate at various levels and occasions, including the UN Security Council, with regard to this problem.
2. Northern Territories issue
The two sides confirmed that they will materialize the agreements at the Japan-Russia Summit Meeting held on the occasion of the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok.
(1) Joint economic activities on the Four Northern Islands
- The two sides shared the recognition that it is important to carry out productive additional field survey, that is scheduled at the beginning of October for giving shape to the five projects that will be undertaken promptly.
- The two sides shared the view that they will coordinate each other hold a director-general-level working group and vice-ministerial-level dialogue promptly.
- With regard to the establishment of “priority development areas”(Территории опережающего развития, TOR) by Russia on the four islands, Minister Kono once again conveyed Japan’s position to Minister Lavrov based on the major premise that the joint economic activities must be carried out in the form which does not harm the legal position of Japan.