Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Takagi’s Attendance at the OECD Southeast Asia Ministerial Forum
October 18, 2022
On October 17 and 18, the OECD Southeast Asia Ministerial Forum was held in Hanoi, Viet Nam, with participation by Mr. TAKAGI, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan. The overview of the forum is as follows.
- The theme of the Ministerial Forum was "Connecting Regions: Partnerships for Resilient and Sustainable Supply Chains" under the co-chairmanship of Viet Nam and Australia. Ministerial-level representatives from OECD member countries and ASEAN countries, and H.E. Mr. Mathias Cormann, Secretary-General, OECD, participated in it.
- At the Ministerial Discussion Session 1 "OECD - Southeast Asia Partnerships for Strengthening Supply Chain Resilience", Parliamentary Vice-Minister Takagi welcomed the steady progress of the Southeast Asia Regional Programme (SEARP), which was launched in 2014 when Japan chaired the OECD Meeting of the Council at Ministerial Level. He also stated that the importance of quality infrastructure investment and Responsible Business Conduct in building resilient supply chains in Southeast Asia, and that Japan will continue to support the efforts of Southeast Asian countries as a bridge between the OECD and Southeast Asia.
- In addition, the Implementation Plan of the OECD-ASEAN MOU was launched on the first day of the Forum, and the OECD-Viet Nam High-level Economic Forum was held on the second day.
- On the occasion of this forum, Parliamentary Vice-Minister Takagi held a meeting with Secretary-General Cormann and confirmed that they will further strengthen cooperation each other toward Japan’s G7 Presidency in 2023 and the 60th anniversary of Japan’s accession to the OECD in 2024. Mr. Takagi also paid a courtesy call on H.E. Mr. Bui Thanh Son, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, and confirmed that Japan and Viet Nam will further deepen their relations toward the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between two countries in 2023.
- During his stay in Hanoi, Parliamentary Vice-Minister Takagi visited the Vietnamese Women's Museum and a sending organization for Japan’s Technical Intern Training, and also visited the Faculty of Japanese Language and Culture at the University of Languages and International Studies, Vietnam National University, where he interacted with students studying Japanese.