African Festa 2010
May 28, 2010
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the City of Yokohama, with the support of African embassies in Japan and Kanagawa Prefecture, will hold African Festa 2010 on June 12 (Sat) and 13 (Sun) in Yokohama (Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse).
- African Festa has been held every year since 1999 by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to broadly introduce attractive African culture, to encourage Japanese citizens to feel an affinity for Africa, as well as to deepen understanding towards Africa. African Festa 2010 will include a talk show with Ms. Agnes Chan, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Japan, as well as the following events. As a new initiative in 2010, private sector companies who are involved in Africa will be engaged in sales of fair trade products, displaying and presenting their social responsibility activities, as well as in promoting African tourism.
(1) Concert performance by Mr. Victor Deme (well-known musician invited from Burkina Faso).
(2) Display of African culture and tourist attraction, and sales of African food and products by African embassies in Japan.
(3) Presentation on activities and display of African products by NGOs, universities, and private companies.
(4) Performances by African musicians and dance groups.
(5) Corners where visitors can experiment African culture, musical instruments, and clothing, and more.