The Sixth Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-VI)
December 1, 2009
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will host the Sixth Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-VI) on December 11 (Fri.) at the Mita Kaigisho (Mita Conference Hall) in Tokyo.
- ASEAN member states, China, Republic of Korea and countries with a common
interest in the security of the Asian region such as the United States and
Australia will be represented among the convening senior government officials
in charge of non-proliferation policies.
Various issues related to the strengthening of the non-proliferation apparatus in Asia will be discussed during the Talks to deepen the level of understanding among countries of their desired non-proliferation implementation measures, the obstacles they would face and solutions to such obstacles.
- ASTOP-VI will build on the discussions of the five previous meetings and will include the following topics:
(1) Regional non-proliferation issues and implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions (North Korea and Iran)
(2) Peaceful uses of atomic energy and nuclear non-proliferation (including application of the IAEA Additional Protocol)
(3) Nuclear security and the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI)
(Note) Past meetings of the Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP)
First Meeting (Tokyo) November 13, 2003
Second Meeting (Tokyo) February 9, 2005
Third Meeting (Tokyo) February 13, 2006
Fourth Meeting (Tokyo) January 25-26, 2007
Fifth Meeting (Tokyo) April 25, 2008
Back to Index