Statement by the Press Secretary/Director-General for Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on the Terrorist Attack in the Southeastern Part of the Islamic Republic of Iran
October 19, 2009
- Japan expresses its deep regret towards the suicide bomb attack on October
18 (Sun) in Sistan and Baluchestan Province, located in the southeastern
part of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which caused many casualties.
- Japan firmly condemns such acts of terrorism as inexcusable. We strongly
condemn terrorism in any forms and for any purposes and reiterate our stance
that terrorism cannot be justified for any reason.
- Japan expresses its deepest condolences for those who have been killed by this terrorist attack and to the families of the victims. It also expresses its heartfelt sympathy toward the great number of injured.
- According to local news coverage and other sources, a suicide bomb attack
occurred on October 18 (Sun) in Zahedan (Pishin area), the capital city
of Sistan and Baluchestan Province, located in southeastern Iran, resulting
in approximately 60 casualties (over 30 deaths) including commanding officers
of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and local tribal leaders.
- On the same day, the IRGC released a statement stating that these inhumane actions were a strategy by foreign countries and enemies to destroy the unity between the Shiites and Sunnis and to inflict damage upon systems and the revolution.