Message of Condolence from Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to Prime Minister Dr. Ibrahim Al-Jafari and President Mr. Jalal Talabani of the Iraqi Transitional Government concerning the Bombing of the Holy Mosque in Samarra, Iraq
February 24, 2006
On February 23 (Thu), the Government of Japan sent a message of condolence to Prime Minister Dr. Ibrahim Al-Jafari and President Mr. Jalal Talabani of the Iraqi Transitional Government, concerning the bombing of the Holy Mosque in Samarra.
- On behalf of the Government and the people of Japan, I extend my heartfelt condolences regarding the bombing of the Holy Mosque in Samarra, Iraq, on February 22.
- I strongly condemn this incident, for this is a cowardly act intended to interfere with the efforts being made by the Iraqi Government and People to form a new government of national reconciliation.
- I hope that this incident will not lead to a chain of retaliation in Iraq.
- I expect that the ethnic and religious groups will pay respect among themselves, and continue paying efforts toward nation-building based on national reconciliation.
- The Government of Japan will continue its support for such efforts of the people of Iraq.
Back to Index