Assistance for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
February 2, 2004
- On January 28 (Wed), the Government of Japan decided to extend assistance of approximately 4,400,000 dollars in total to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) to support its implementation of four projects in the educational sector and to assist its general budgets in educational and general fields.
(1) Construction and Equipping of 14 Classrooms, one Computer Laboratory and one Shed at Zaitoun Preparatory Girls' and Elementary "C" Co-educational School in Gaza: about $360,000
(2) Construction and Equipping of 14 Classrooms, one Computer Laboratory and one Shed at Nuseirat "C" Preparatory and Boys' Elementary School in Gaza: about $140,000
(3) Introduction of Associate Nursing Course to Amman Training Centre in Jordan: about $230,000
(4) Japan Scholarship Programme for University Applicants residing in Gaza Strip, West Bank, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon: about $400,000
Assistance for General Budget (maintenance, administration and operation of UNRWA):
(1) Assistance for General Budget in Educational Sector: $1 million
(2) Assistance for General Budget: about $2,260, 000
- The purpose of this assistance is to develop human resources through education and other means and to promote independence of Palestinian refugees.
- These projects are expected to improve the lives of Palestinian refugees, who have been in difficult circumstances for over half a century, and to promote the Middle East peace process.
Back to Index