Implementation of the Measures including the Freezing of Assets against Terrorists and the Like
July 5, 2002
- Content of the Asset Freezing Measures
The Government of Japan decided to release the Gazettes of the Ministries concerned (*1) on July 6, thereby taking the asset freezing measures (*2) against the thirteen entities listed on the attached sheet.
- The Asset Freezing Measures which Japan has implemented and its Background
(1) Since the terrorist attacks in the United States on September 11 last year, the strengthening of measures to combat the financing of terrorism has been one of the most important international tasks. The Statement by G8 leaders announced on September 19 stressed the importance of measures to combat the financing of terrorism, and UN Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1373, which requests the formulation of the measures including the freezing of assets against terrorists and the like, was adopted on September 28.
(2) Under these circumstances, the U.S. and other G8 countries are taking measures against terrorists and the like including asset freezing, and so far, Japan also has taken measures including the freezing of assets against those associated with the Taliban and Usama bin Laden, in accordance with UNSCRs 1267, 1333 and 1390, targeting 291 individuals and entities in total designated by the UN Sanctions Committee. In addition, as regards the asset freezing measures against other terrorists besides those associated with the Taliban, in accordance with UNSCR 1373, Japan has implemented measures targeting twelve individuals and entities including Hamas-Izz al-Din al-Qassem (the military wing of Hamas), Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and Lashkar e-Tayyiba (LET; Muslim separatist radicals headquartered in Pakistan).
(*1) Gazettes of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
(*2) Restrictions on payment (Remittance) and capital transactions, on the basis of the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law
Thirteen Entities for the Measures against Terrorism
- Abu Nidal Organisation
- Gama'a al-Islamiyya (GI)
- Kahane Chai (Kach)
- Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)
- Mujahedin-e Khalq Organisation (MEK)
- Palestine Liberation Front (PLF)
- Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)
- Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC)
- Revolutionary People's Liberation Army/Front/ Party (DHKP-C)
- Shining Path (SL)
- Al-Aqsa Martyr's Brigade
- Babbar Khalsa
- International Sikh Youth Federation (ISYF)
Back to Index