Application for TICAD7 Official Side Events (Booth Exhibition and Panel Exhibition)
The Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7) will be held from 28th to 30th August 2019 at Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama city, Japan.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in cooperation with the co-organizers of TICAD7 is inviting applications for TICAD7 Official Side Events during a period of TICAD7.
Organizations such as international organizations, universities, research institutes, civil societies and NGOs, who have an interest are kindly requested to fill in the attached registration form (Excel) and send it to the Side Event Team, Secretariat for TICAD7, African Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in principle by e-mail, no later than Friday, 26th April, 2019. Through the screening process by the Secretariat for TICAD7 and co-organizers, the result of the application will be informed to all applicants individually.
1. Purpose of the official side events
TICAD is a policy forum where diverse stakeholders participate in and share their expertise on African development. The official side events provide all TICAD participants with an opportunity to exchange opinions related to African development.
2. General Information
(1) Schedule for the exhibition
Tuesday, 27th August through Friday, 30th August, 2019 (4 days)
From 10:30 am through 7:30 pm
(On 30th August, from 10:30 through 2:30 pm only and all the articles must be removed by the end of the day.)
[note] The schedule is subject to change depending on TICAD7 main programs.
(2) Location of the exhibition
(Pacifico Yokohama layout)
Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center or Annex Hall
Organizers which wish to set up a booth or a panel at TICAD7 are kindly requested to choose either (i)Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center or (ii) Pacifico Yokohama Annex Hall at the time of application. In principle, one organization can occupy one booth/panel.
- (i) At Foyers on 1F, 2F, 3F and 5F, Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center
- [note] Since the area is accessed only by TICAD7 participants such as the government and the international organization or equivalents invited by the Secretariat for TICAD7, exhibition in this area will be intended only for TICAD7 participants. ID cards will be provided for each organizer of the exhibition to have an access to the area as needed.
- (ii) At Foyer, Pacifico Yokohama Annex Hall
- [note] Since this area is open to the public, many visitors are expected to visit.
(3) Criteria for approval
- Exhibition that relates to African development and is expected to make useful inputs to the process of TICAD
- In principle, an exhibition should be open to the public (Access is limited at Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center.).
- In principle, an organizer should be based in Japan or has a contact point in Japan.
- During the exhibition, organizer must be present.
- Exhibition which is related to a project already under corporation with the Japanese government and organizations and requires further understanding among heads of delegation of African countries
- Exhibition which showcases Japanese values
(Disqualification for official side event)
- Profit-oriented exhibitions or exhibitions with poor public interests
- Exhibitions organized by a political, religious and other similar organization, and are contrary to public order and morals
- Exhibitions which are considered as diplomatically inappropriate
3. Important Notices
- (1) In case, an exhibition is organized by more than one organization, the organizers are kindly requested to specify a main organizer at the time of the application.
- (2) In principle, one organization can apply one booth or panel.
- (3) Types of exhibition space
- (i) At Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center, 2 types of exhibition space are available.
- Type A: U-shaped booth (2m (width) x 2m (depth) space) (PDF)
- Type B: 2m (width) x no depth space booth (PDF)
- (ii) At Pacifico Yokohama Annex Hall, 1 type of exhibition space is available.
- Type A: U-shaped booth (2m (width) x 2m (depth) space)
- (4)Third parties appointed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be in charge of exhibition space management such as setup, clear-up and maintenance of space, and arrangement of additional options, while an organizer is responsible for articles management such as delivery, display, and maintenance and clear-up of articles. Expenses around 30,000 Japanese Yen at maximum for one exhibition space will be borne by an organizer. These expenses will cover costs such as setting up and clearing up of exhibition, exhibit fee and electricity costs (in case of a standard booth). Actual costs of additional options for booth, if any, will be borne by an organizer.
- (5) A standard exhibition space is equipped with the following items. The space and equipment are subject to change depending on the application situation.
- 1 Desk
- 2 Chairs (only for Type A)
- 2 Lightings
- 1 Signboard of an organizer's name (90cm (width) x 20cm (height))
- 2 Outlets
- (1) Certification of the official side event does not mean granting a subsidy for holding an exhibition. No financial or physical support other than the support stated in 3. above will be available.
- (2) All the responsibilities as for holding an exhibition are to be borne by an organizer, even though the exhibition is certified as an official side event of TICAD7. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and TICAD co-organizers will not take any responsibility for incidents such as accidents, injuries, and property losses in conducting the exhibition.
- (3) Even though an exhibition meets criteria for approval as an official side event, the event will not always be certified as an official side event due to the limitation in the venue capacity. The criteria for approval of an official side event described in 2. (3) above is subject to change by the Secretariat for TICAD7 due to application situation.
- (4) An exhibition cannot necessarily be held at the requested location.
- (5) During TICAD7, a series of TICAD7 related events are expected to be organized by Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) , Yokohama-city, host city of TICAD7 and so on and forth.
- (6) Submitted applications will not be returned. If it's necessary, an organizer is kindly requested to make copies in advance.
- (7) An organizer is kindly requested to send in a report of the event outline in Japanese or English within one month after the event in principle by e-mail to Side Event Team of Secretariat for TICAD7.
- (8) In case any modification is made, such as modification of an implementation plan or cancellation of the exhibition, the organizer must inform the Secretariat for TICAD7 about such modification immediately in writing.
- (9) Even though an exhibition is certified as an official side event, certification will be cancelled in such cases as false application and violation of criteria for approval are revealed, or TICAD co-organizers consider cancellation is necessary.
- (10) A nursery space is available to use for organizers. However, personnel cost such as a baby sitter and expenses such as safety mat or other materials and equipment in a nursery space should be borne by an organizer. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and TICAD co-organizers will not take any responsibility for incidents such as accidents, injury, and property loss in a nursery space.
5. Procedure of application
- (1) Application will be accepted until Friday, 26th April, 2019. After that date, through the screening process proceeded by the Secretariat for TICAD7 and co-organizers, official side events will be selected. By Friday 31th May, allocated location of exhibition will be notified to an organizer which is certified as an official side event organizer.
- (2) After the notification, official side events will be coordinated by the third parties for official side events. The contact point of the third parties will be informed afterwards. The third parties are in charge of coordination with the organizer.
- (3) The logo and logo guideline (PDF) will be provided to the certified organizers.
- (4) Information on TICAD7 Official Side Events will be posted on related TICAD7 website, TICAD7 Facebook, Twitter and so on and forth.
- (5) Objections to the result of certification as an official side event and modification of designated location of exhibition will not be accepted.