Japan-Republic of Korea Relations
Statement by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the Republic of Korea’s Presidential Election
1. On behalf of the Government of Japan and the citizens of Japan, I offer my sincere congratulations on the election of candidate Mr. Moon Jae-in as the next President of the Republic of Korea (ROK) in the recent presidential election.
2. Japan and the ROK are each other’s most important neighbors that share strategic interests, and I am looking forward to working with President-elect Moon in the future.
3. An amicable relationship between Japan and the ROK has been built thanks to the unceasing efforts of parties in both countries over a period of many years. I intend to join hands with President-elect Moon to advance the future-oriented Japan-ROK relationship in a broad range of fields.
4. Japan and the ROK are facing common challenges in East Asia, including responding to the North Korea issues. I believe that as a result of cooperation between Japan and the ROK, the two countries can contribute further to regional peace and prosperity.
5. I pray for President-elect Moon’s success. I am looking forward to being able to meet with President-elect Moon at the earliest possible opportunity and candidly exchange views on matters of common interest.