Japan-Republic of Korea Relations
Statement by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the Republic of Korea’s Presidential Election
May 9, 2017
1. On behalf of the Government of Japan and the citizens of Japan, I offer my sincere congratulations on the election of candidate Mr. Moon Jae-in as the next President of the Republic of Korea (ROK) in the recent presidential election.
2. Japan and the ROK are each other’s most important neighbors that share strategic interests, and I am looking forward to working with President-elect Moon in the future.
3. An amicable relationship between Japan and the ROK has been built thanks to the unceasing efforts of parties in both countries over a period of many years. I intend to join hands with President-elect Moon to advance the future-oriented Japan-ROK relationship in a broad range of fields.
4. Japan and the ROK are facing common challenges in East Asia, including responding to the North Korea issues. I believe that as a result of cooperation between Japan and the ROK, the two countries can contribute further to regional peace and prosperity.
5. I pray for President-elect Moon’s success. I am looking forward to being able to meet with President-elect Moon at the earliest possible opportunity and candidly exchange views on matters of common interest.