5th Green Mekong Forum to be Held in Bangkok
February 6, 2018
1. The Government of Japan and the Royal Thai Government will co-host the 5th Green Mekong Forum in Bangkok, the Kingdom of Thailand, on February 12.
2. This Forum will be held between Japan and the Mekong countries (the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, the Kingdom of Thailand, and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam) based on the Action Plan for “A Decade toward the Green Mekong” Initiative that was announced in 2010, as one part of Japan-Mekong cooperation for heightening awareness of environmental problems and promoting cooperation on sustainable development.
3. H.E. Mr. Arthayudh Srisamoot, Director-General, Department of International Economic Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, and Mr. Fumio Shimizu, Deputy Director-General, Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, will serve as co-chairs at this Forum.
4. The 5th Forum will focus on “Sustainable Mekong” (climate change and renewable energy) and “Water Resources Management and Disaster Risk Reduction”. Representatives from the relevant agencies and ministries in Japan and the Mekong countries, as well as international organizations and academic institutions, will attend.
5. The attendees are scheduled to exchange views on environmental problems and challenges facing the Mekong region.