Japan and the United Nations
Comment by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the Adoption of a Resolution by the United Nations Security Council concerning North Korea’s Ballistic Missile Launch and Other Activities
December 23, 2017
- Japan highly appreciates the unanimous adoption of the robust United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Resolution 2397 (PDF) at the UNSC under Japan’s presidency, which further enhances the sanctions measures against North Korea to an unprecedented level, in response to the launch of what appears to be a new type of the ballistic missile with the range of an ICBM on November 29 and other activities.
- North Korea’s nuclear and missile development represents an unprecedented, grave and imminent threat. It is not an exaggeration to state that the security situation surrounding Japan has become most severe since the end of World War II. It is totally unacceptable that North Korea is continuing its provocative actions in disregard of the strong desire of the international community to achieve a peaceful resolution.
- The UNSC Ministerial-Level Meeting on the North Korean issue presided and hosted by Japan on December 15 made it clear once again the will of the international community that it will never accept a nuclear-armed North Korea, and that it must not yield to any provocative actions and must remain united to enhance pressure on North Korea to the maximum degree in order to urge it to change its policies.. The Resolution 2397 adopted today demonstrates the will of the international community in the form of concrete action.
- North Korea has an industrious labor force as well as abundant natural resources. North Korea will be able to dramatically boost its economy if it chooses the right path. Japan strongly urges North Korea to comply with the relevant UNSC resolutions, including the newly adopted Resolution 2397, and to immediately demonstrate its serious will and concrete actions towards the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- Towards the common goal of the complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, Japan, as a member of the UNSC, will continue to work closely with the international community, including not only with the United States and the Republic of Korea, but also with China, Russia and other countries, to strongly call on all U N Member States to fully implement the relevant UNSC resolutions, among other actions.
- Resolution 2397 reiterates its deep concern for the grave hardship that the people in North Korea are subjected to in an operative clause. This demonstrates the consistent and strong concern of the international community, including the UNSC, over North Korea’s human rights and humanitarian issues including the abductions issue.
- Japan will continue to strongly urge North Korea under its principle of “dialogue and pressure” and “action for action” to take concrete actions towards the comprehensive resolution of outstanding issues of concern regarding North Korea, including nuclear and missile issues as well as the abductions issue, which continues to be the most important. Especially, with regard to the abductions issue, Japan will continue to make its utmost efforts to realize the return of all abductees at the earliest possible date, while urging North Korea to implement the Stockholm Agreement.