Hokkaido Toyako Summit
- PRESS RELEASE / Tanabata event by G8 Leaders -
Tanabata event by G8 Leaders
7th July 2008
- Yasuo Fukuda, Prime Minister of Japan and his Spouse, hosted a Tanabata event on July7th 19:00, approximately for 10minuets at the Banquet Lobby of The Windsor Hotel Toya, which is the venue of the Hokkaido Toyako Summit. G8Leaders and their Spouses decorated the bamboo with the strips of papers, on which they have written a wish and a hope towards the future. Strips of papers individually written by respective leaders and their spouses, is as follows.
- Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda
- “Study the old and create new things” – Learn from the wisdom of the mankind to create the future
- Mrs. Kiyoko Fukuda
- May the people around the world always be able to live with smiles.
- President George W. Bush
- I wish for a world free from tyranny: the tyranny of hunger, disease; free from any tyrannical governments. I wish for a world in which the universal desire for liberty is realized. I wish for the advance of new technologies that will improve the human condition and protect our environment. I wish god’s blessings on all.
- Mrs. Laura Welch Bush
- May children everywhere be loved and cared for and be free from hunger and may they be educated so that they can grow up to realize their dreams and build a peaceful world.
- President Nicolas Sarkozy
- I hope that the Toyako G8 meeting will help find a way to meet such global challenges as conserving the environment, development, economic growth and preserving peace. I also hope that this year, which marks 150 years of Franco-Japanese relations, will provide the opportunity to enhance our ties of friendship and exchanges between our two countries.
- President Dmitry Anatolyevich Medvedev
- May the Milky Way lie between Vega and Altair, but they are together in the Universe thanks to their invincible force of their feelings.
To the people of the Earth this truth is very informative. We are also united by our responsibility for the future of our common home, for peace, prosperity and Mother Nature, which it is our duty to preserve.
I am convinced that the Hokkaido G8 Summit will contribute to the achievement of this lofty goal.
- Mrs. Svetlana Vladimirovna Medvedeva
- I am very happy that I am able to attend the Japanese traditional ceremony of TANABATA, in the splendid landscape of Toyako. May the legend about fantastic power of love in the orient remain in our hearts, and give us hope for happiness and success.
- Chancellor Angela Merkel
- May there be a good star over our meeting; may there by good will in all our talks; may there be a sense of responsibility in all our minds; and may we all take the hopes of our people to heart.
- Prime Minister Stephen Joseph Harper
- I wish for a world of freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.
- Mrs. Laureen Teskey Harper
- Unity, prosperity, peace and hope for all.
- Prime Minister Gordon Brown
- An end to poverty. And on the anniversary of the 7th July, 2005, bombings in London, an end to terrorism.
- Mrs. Sarah Brown
- The end to the half a million avoidable deaths every year of mothers in pregnancy and childbirth.
- Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
- A future of hope, serenity and welfare for all the children in the world.
- President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Durao Barroso
- That everyone will be able to consider the whole world the only and same family!
- Mrs. Maria Margarida Pinto Ribeiro Sousa Uva Barroso
- I wish that in every human heart there will be a feeling of true RESPECT, TOLERANCE and UNDERSTANDING for each other views thoughts and feelings – then violence would be gradually replaced by LOVE.