Joint Press Release
(Japan / the Islam Republic of Iran)
on Cooperation in Afghanistan
(May 2, 2009)
Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran, as responsible members of the international community, are resolved to play an important role in the international efforts to help the people of Afghanistan to reconstruct and develop their country.
To that end, Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran will consolidate their joint efforts towards a stable, democratic and prosperous Afghanistan. In this regard, during the official visit of His Excellency Mr. Hirofumi Nakasone, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan to Tehran (May 2, 2009) and after his discussions with His Excellency Mr. Manouchehr Mottaki, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, two sides expressed their intention that the initial joint efforts will be made on practical, quick-impact projects in such areas as below：
- Anti-drug trafficking and Border Control
- Enhancing the Capacity of the Afghan Border Police
- Voluntary Repatriation of Afghan Refugees from the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Vocational Training
- Assisting the Return of Qualified Afghans graduated from institutions in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Humanitarian Assistance for Afghan Refugees in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Support for Japanese / Iranian NGOs engaged in reconstruction of Afghanistan
- Cooperation in capacity building of the relevant departments of the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in areas such as vocational training and agriculture.
For the identification and implementation of the projects, the Embassy of Japan in the Islamic Republic of Iran（Tehran）and the Afghanistan Headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran will conduct necessary follow ups in consultation with the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Back to Index